Gunung Angsi

Hey guysss.
I've had an interesting weekend!
First, let me tell u, I actually FORGOT that I have an exam on saturday!
haha. terok kan. But nevermind, I can take another day. Chey so confident, skali tak boleh.

Ok, anw, on Saturday morning, my cousin and I went to hike at Gunung Angsi at Negeri Sembilan.
The experience was. "WOW".
For a first timer, I cannot describe you the feeling. A LOT OF MIXED FEELINGS.
BUT, IN SUMMARY,
I am proud of myself and my cousin because we did summit, after facing a LOT OF DIFFICULT obstacles, which we, at some point, were at the verge of giving up.

Please take note that, we are only the first timers there, AND we are not at that proper level of fitness to climb a gunung that is at 800m+ high. Okay, wait, let me start from the start, haha.

12.20am

Met the rest of the hikers at Marsiling Mrt. I didn't expect to see a lot of people, but there were at least around 20 people there. The co-ordinator of the group is Vijay and Vince, they were nice and friendly :). We had no idea who the rest of the people are (but eventually we did, for some of them), but there were a mixed age group of young adults and also mature adults. I guess we are among the young adults there. Chey. And I got to know later that, probably most of them had gone hiking before. I mean, it's not their first time. So, my cousin and I were the only ones new to hiking.

We boarded the bus around 12.30am, when everyone had arrived. So off we go to clear the Singapore's and Malaysia's custom.

1+am

We are finally on the way to Negeri Sembilan. The journey will take around 4-5  hours, with one stop for breakfast. In the bus, we were given free t-shirt! Yeah! Ok so, off we go!
To be honest, who can actually sleep in the bus? haha. Maybe just a snooze, but deep sleep is impossible when your body is cramped on a tight-spaced chair. But what do you expect, it's a bus. lol

5+am

Alhamdulillah, the journey to the first stop was a smooth one. :)
We stop to a place to get our breakfast. Not all stalls were open. The foods were quite limited too.
My cousin and I got soto ayam, which was okay.  We were really tired, so our appetite were kinda low.
Then, we packed some food for lunch. Lunch will be at the summit later on. Then back to the bus to continue the rest of the journey to the entrance of Gunung Angsi!




7+am

Finally, we reached! Once I stepped out of the bus, the scenery was gorgeous. There stood the mountain, all high and grand. The smell of morning dew...the birds chirping..the cool weather..it was kinda perfect you see, until the sun comes up. HAHA.





Briefing by Vijay. (Trip Co-coordinator)

Registration


Had our briefing, then we walked to the office to register our names, and then to the entrance of the mountain. There are 2 ways to summit this mountain.

1) Ulu Bendul - Longer route
2) Bukit Putus - Shorter route

So, we approached the summit through Ulu Bendul route and then climb down the mountain through Bukit Putus route.

Here are some along the way photos:












Muddy Muddy!





Did I tell you that THERE IS A CAT THAT WAS HIKING WITH US!!! haha
But the cat disappeared after that :(


Someone sprained her ankle here. It's sweet how everyone is concerned for each other :)
First Break Point

Group Photo :)



So, the first 1 hour of hiking was okay. The trail was fairly flat. At some point, we have to cross a river, which feels dangerous to me, because first, i don't know how deep the water is, and the water was gushing fast, which suggests that strong currents were present. Thankfully the guys from the group helped to get the ladies across the river first, which then they crossed later on. I tell you, I was nervous, because some of the rocks were quite far from each other. You literally have to jump/leap from a rock to the next rock. A slip will surely end you up in the water. BUT, alhamdulillah everyone got to the other side safe and sound.



Vince!!

Ladies first! (Thank God)


THEN then here comes the nightmare.
Shortly after the river crossing, the trail comes to a steep incline hike, ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
This was not a joke. For the first 20 minutes, it feels okay, then after that, fatigue starts to overcome us. One by one, the other hikers passed us, because we were quite slow. At one point, I was ahead of my cousin, then I realized that suddenly I was hiking up alone, because I was neither fast nor slow. So, no one was around me, which feels okay, but I rather wait for my cousin and the rest, then got lost alone in the forest. So, I waited like around 10 mins before spotting my cousin hiking up alone too. Then i got to know that, there's like only hiker left behind with a guide. So, we were kinda the last 3 people in the group. LOL.

We continue to hike slowly up, because it got steeper and the trail wasn't that easy, with rocks and muds. Every step up got more and more difficult because our leg muscles were already sore by then. I was out of breath too. There were moments where I thought that I might just fall from the mountain because my legs were very tired. But no, we continued on. At one point, my cousin and I went to the wrong direction, finding ourselves trudging into the bushes, with sharp vines brushing against my face. I knew this wasn't the right direction that we were heading, but we stupidly trusted the misleading sign board.






THANK GOD I TELL U, after like 5 mins into the bushes, the local guide which was behind us heard us and told us to get out from there, and then he showed us the right way. We got to know that the guy behind us turned back, and decided not to continue because he hurt his back (i think). So, from here onwards, the local guide, Vince started to hike with us, because we were the last ones and he is responsible for the safety of the slower hikers (which happened to be us.lol.)

The rest of the hike was arduous. We stopped a lot of times to take a break. It was good to hike with Vince, because he was VERY VERY ENCOURAGING AND MOTIVATING. He was a great help too. Without him, I don't think my cousin and I will summit on time.

One of the many breaks that we took.

This hiking stick is a saviour!! (belongs to Vince)

After like 2 hours or so, we were quite near to summit. There was AN OBSTACLE that we need to overcome, which happened to be a HUGE BOULDER (OF ROCK). There was a rope at the rock, and we have to climb up. It looks easy, but trust me, when you get at the point, your legs are like weak and you have limited strength left.


Amirah, Me and Vince (Last 3 people. HAHA)


When we reached there, there were some middle-aged guys (Singaporeans) from another hiking group who were resting. So, after resting, they went up first. They climbed up like it's nothing la sey! OMG.haha. Then my cousin went up. She had difficulty climbing up the boulder. Apparently there was a method to climb up. A lot of upper body muscle is required for this. So, one of the guys from the other hiking grp, saw the difficulty faced by my cousin, so he gave us some tips. He also carried up our bags first, so that the load will be off our back.

After a few tries, my cousin still did not manage to hoist herself up. So, I went to try first while she rested at the side. IT WAS NOT EASY I TELL U. I encountered the same thing as my cousin and my legs keep slipping. At last, my cousin hoisted me up, by pushing my butt up, and the rest, my arms have to play its part in pulling my body up. I think we spent like 30 mins trying to get up the boulder successfully. We were surely indebted to the man who stayed to help us. :')

This guy was the one who helped us. :)

Then, we continued our way up, from here onwards, i think we were quite near the summit, with over 200-300 m more to go. Trudged our way up, and again, taking few water breaks.


12+pm (afternoon)

Finally we see sunlight. The trees starts to clear away. We were nearly at the top. So near, yet so far. Haha. I was really happy because at some point, we can hear voices, so that means, we are getting near the summit.

THEN IT HAPPENED, WE FINALLY REACHED THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so happy that we made it. Like seriously, I feel proud of myself and my cousin especially because she was bigger in size than me, and she did NOT GIVE up. What more at some point, she was the one giving me the motivation to keep climbing, aside from the guide, himself. The view was okay, not really magnificent. But what matters most is, we managed to conquer ourselves, be positive and were mentally strong enough not to turn back.

Up at the summit, we spotted our group, and some of other hiking groups from Singapore and Malaysia. A lot of teenagers from Malaysia. We took some pictures and had our lunch there, before hiking down from the other route.

Vijay spotted us and congratulated us. We initially thought that we were slow, but turn out, for beginners we were actually doing well. We managed to hit the target time which was 12 noon.
Some of the people from the group congratulated us too. It was sure heart-warming. :)


Best feeling ever & shagged to the max.





After lunch, we did not dilly dally because we need to get back down by 3pm to wash up, before leaving for the bus at 4pm.

So, hike down................will be blogged at another post. I feel that this post is long enough. I will update the pictures accordingly after I transfer out the pictures.

Okay, till the next blog entry! Please don't mind my bad english! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELLO KOREA! (GoPro pics)

Time waits for no man